Christopher Roy Garland
Christopher Roy Garland, of Botswana, is an international business executive based in Gaborone. He presently serves as Managing Director of Fidelity Indemnity (Pty) Limited, an international financial planning and corporate advisory services firm.
As Fidelity Indemnity (Pty) Limited’s Managing Director since 1991, Chris and team consult around three main areas of expertise. The first is international financial planning for high-net-worth individuals and the corporate structures they control. The second is the creation of lasting business value within the Southern African Development Community (SADC), a 16-nation region spanning much of the southern half of the African continent. The third is corporate advisory services for firms investing in major development projects within the SADC.
Christopher Roy Garland: Fidelity Indemnity Infrastructure & Economic Development Projects
During his time with Fidelity Indemnity, Chris Garland has been involved in a number of significant infrastructure and economic development projects in Botswana. In no particular order, he has served in the following capacities:
- Project member for the Ponta Techobanine Inter-Regional Heavy Haul Railway Line and Deep-Water Port Project
- Project advisor for a coal bed methane gas extraction project in Botswana
- Advisor for a major regional road transport project in Botswana
- Advisor on a development project related to a key Botswana air transport hub
- Advisor to and as a non-executive Director to the Board of the Botswana International Financial Services Centre
- Principal for Botswana’s Private Wealth Services Centre and International Education Centre
- Advisor on the merger of the Botswana International Financial Services Centre Ltd., and the Botswana Export Development and Investment Authority (BEDIA) into the Botswana Investment & Trade Centre (BITC), a combined organisation
- Non-executive Director to the Board of the BITC, and as the Board’s Deputy Chairman and Chairman of its Audit Committee
Christopher Roy Garland’s international business experience extends beyond the borders of Botswana, his current home base. Over the course of a career spanning more than 40 years, he has consulted or led projects in more than a dozen countries on two continents: South Africa, Zambia, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, and Mauritius in Africa; and Spain, Switzerland and the United Kingdom in Europe.
Chris earned his Certified Financial Planner designation from the University of Free State (South Africa) in 1985, graduating with an Honours Degree in the field. He has been an admitted member of the Financial Planning Institute of South Africa since 1985 and a member of the Financial Intermediaries Association of Southern Africa (FIA) since 1979. Chris is also a fellow member of the Institute of Directors Southern Africa, a role he has filled since 2011.
Elsewhere, Chris is registered with and a full member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP) of London and has held a qualified Trust Estate Practitioner (TEP) designation since 2013.
Chris Garland: Directorships and Advisory Roles
Chris Garland has held a number of directorships and advisory roles during and before his time with Fidelity Indemnity. These include:
- Non-Executive Director of the Board for Fugro Botswana (Pty) Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Fugro Group of Companies, between 2015 and 2020
- Non-Executive Director of the Board for Melric Investimentos Lda., since 2000
- Executive Director of Tagine Capital Partners Africa (Pty) Ltd., since 2016
- Non-Executive Director for the International Housing Solutions (IHS) Group of Companies in Botswana, Kensal Rise (Pty) Ltd. and International Housing Solutions Property Management (Pty) Ltd., since 2016
- Non-Executive Director for the Botswana Export Development Investment Agency (BEDIA) and for the Botswana International Financial Services Centre (Botswana IFSC), through 2012
- Chief Executive Officer of Truckafrica Group SADC Region, from 1991 to 2001
- Co-founder and Managing Director of Capital Corporation, based in Johannesburg, South Africa, from 1981 to 1991
- Executive consultant for Liberty Life in Johannesburg, from 1979 to 1981
Christopher Garland: Charitable Contributions and Personal Life
In his personal capacity, Christopher Roy Garland supports a number of charities serving Southern Africa, including Equinox Trust and SA Guide-Dogs. An avid commercial pilot, he has held an FAA Qualified Commercial Multi-Engine Pilot license and Instrument rating and has been a member of the Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association (AOPA) in the United States since 1997.
Chris was born and raised in Plymouth, England. He now lives in the Kgale Hill district of Gaborone with his wife of more than 40 years. When he is not taking calls or traveling for business, he enjoys spending time with his two adult children, who have excelled in their own professional endeavors.